Sunday, January 15, 2012

Laser Hair Removal on Tanned Skin

Many people advertise lasers that work for hair removal on tanned skin. A common question I get is "Is this true?" The answer is that it is partially true. The reason for this has to do with the physics and biology involved. The target for lasers used for hair removal is melanin. Melanin is abundant in dark hairs (blond and red hairs have a different kind of melanin that does not absorb the light well). Melanin is also produced in the skin when people get a tan. In fact, the tan that is seen after sun exposure is directly due to the increased formation of melanin.

Melanin will absorb the laser or light energy wherever it is. So the melanin in the hair shaft will absorb the energy and destroy the hair. At the same time the melanin in the skin can absorb the energy and burn the skin. For this reason, people with tanned or dark skin require lower energy to prevent burns and blisters. When lower energy is used, there is also a decreased effect in terms of the hair removal. This usually means more treatments will be required.

So while laser hair removal can be done on tanned skin, it is not as effective and more treatments will likely be required if it is done on tanned skin versus untanned skin. Therefore, to get the maximum benefit from laser hair removal, be sure not to tan the few weeks before each session.

Spray tanning will not interfere with laser hair removal because it does not add melanin to the skin. Sun tanning and UV-based tanning is not recommended because it can cause signs of premature aging such as fine lines, discoloration, and laxity and because it increases the risk for skin cancer.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for this article. It's very useful for me, because I want to remove my hair with laser, but I have a tanned skin unfortunately. I hope it'll be ok the procedure...I don't want to have some problems with my skin. Because of this, I'm searching information about this subject... I want to know everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as of now laser hair removal is very demanding nationwide, that's why I like this post the information given is great to be aware more about permanent hair removal in these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that safe? I hope it doesn't darken your skin all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this laser procedure with less time my unwanted hairs will vanished. I'm also interested in any other hair removal with the use also of laser technology. This blog might also help click here for the great results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting laser hair removal on my face now and the technician I see tells me to not even put on tinted foundation/moisturizer, because it will cause scarring on my face. I would not recommend putting sunless tanner on, or any kind of coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great.
    laser hair removal NYC

    ReplyDelete
  7. VLCC provides a state-of-the-art laser treatment for permanent hair removal, skin rejuvenation and acne for both men and women which are approved by FDA. Laser Hair Removal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let sensuous hair be yours! Our treatments not only help restore balance, strength of your hair, but also aim at improving the overall health of your scalp Permanent Hair Removal

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. CoolSculpting Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  10. While there is no proven evidence that laser hair removal is not good for pregnant women, effects of lasers on baby are still unknown. This is why doctors recommend pregnant women to wait until childbirth. 真空除毛

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really nice sharing about the pros and cons of laser hair removal, here Laser Nurse explain "The Cycles of Hair Growth are Important For Permanent Hair Removal NYC". Read https://wishpostings.com/the-cycles-of-hair-growth-are-important-for-permanent-hair-removal-nyc/

    ReplyDelete